AWARDS AND HONOURS
NAME OF THE AWARD
KEY POINTS TO NOTE
|Padma Prabha Puraskaram||Prabha Varma||He is eminent poet, lyricist and journalist|
|2017 Man Booker Prize||George Saunders||For his first full-length novel Lincoln in the Bardo|
|Swachh Bharat Inter-Ministerial Award||Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas||
|NASSCOM Customer Service Excellence Award 2017||CSS Corporation||India’s premier IT industry body|
|Green platinum award||The Govardhan Eco Village||Set up by the International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON)|
|Lata Mangeshkar Award||Alka Yagnik and Udit Narayan||
|Sunny Verghese||Chairman of World Business Council for Sustainable Development|
|Manika Jain||Ambassador of India to the Kingdom of Cambodia|
|Jacinda Ardern||New Zealand Prime Minister|
|Sibi George||Ambassador of India to Switzerland|
|Izham Ismail||CEO of Malaysia Airlines|
|Audrey Azoulay||Director General of UNESCO|
- Mahindra & Mahindra has launched a programme, Prerna, to empower women working in the agriculture sector by promoting efficient and ergonomic farm tools and equipment.
- Rajasthan assembly has become the first in India to call attention and adjournment motions and proposals online from legislators to send them to the state government.
- E-commerce major Myntra launched its CSR initiative in association with the Union Textile Ministry, to work directly with weavers and elevate their economic stature.
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan has attended a “Bhavantar Bhugtan Yojana” programme in Sagar. A
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is undertaking an online campaign #IamThatWoman.
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu has laid the foundation stone for the TU142M aircraft museum in Visakhapatnam.
- The Arunachal Assembly has passed a bill paving way for creation of a new district to be named Kamle, bifurcating the present Upper and Lower Subansiri districts.
- The Maharashtra government has released a sum of Rs 4,000 crore under the first phase of the over Rs 34,000 crore farm loan waiver scheme.
- The Income Tax Department has launched an ‘online chat’ service for taxpayers so that they can seek answers to their basic queries and doubts relating to direct tax issues.
- AAI-owned Jaipur and Srinagar airports have been ranked among the best aerodromes in the world in the 2-5 million passengers per annum category by the Airport Council International (ACI).
- The Indian Army has organised ‘Jashn-e-Breng’ festival in Kokernag village of the Anantnag district to promote peace and brotherhood between security forces and the local population.
- The civic body of Mumbai has introduced an online single window system to issue permissions for new businesses and factories.
- The troubled textile sector in Telangana State is all set to get a booster dose with the Government taking up the Kakatiya Mega Textile Park in Warangal district.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch India’s first roll on-roll off or ‘Ro-Ro’ ferry services between Ghogha in Saurashtra’s Bhavnagar district and Dahej in Bharuch district on October 22.
- Kerala government has given green signal to a proposal of the state Startup Mission (KSUM) to accord sabbatical leave to the faculty members of all colleges who intend to establish startups.
- The Vasundhara Raje government has passed an ordinance, which seeks to protect both serving and former judges, magistrates and public servants in Rajasthan from being investigated for on-duty action without its prior sanction.
- The central adoption body CARA is planning to set up a portal to help prospective parents from outside India track the status of their applications instead of relying solely on their country’s authorised agency.
- State-owned Kandla Port Trust has received environment clearance for setting up a Rs 1,176-crore smart industrial port city in Kutch, Gujarat.
- The Indian Council of Cultural Relations, is organising India International Cherry Blossom Festival in Shillong between November 8-11.
BANKING AND FINANCE NEWS
- Kotak Mahindra Bank and Zeta, a fintech pioneer has announced the launch of ‘Paymint’, a comprehensive digital wallet to manage multiple employee benefits.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has nod for commencement of operations for the North East Small Finance Bank.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) will provide funds to women SHGs (self help groups) in rural areas at 7 percent under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) in the current fiscal.
RANKING AND INDEX
- The Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IIT Bombay) has emerged as the only Indian institute to better its performance among the top 100 universities in the latest Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) Asia University Rankings 2018.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- The country is rapidly marching towards indigenisation and the commissioning of the third Kamorta class Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) stealth corvette is a classic example of that, said Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman.
- India and Russia have began their first mega tri-services war game involving their armies, navies and air forces with an aim to boost their operational coordination.
- India and Japan have signed a memorandum of cooperation on Technical Intern Training Programme (TITP).
- India, Brazil and South Africa signed the IBSA Trust Fund Agreement that seeks to fight poverty in developing countries.
- India and Mozambique have agreed to expedite development of the giant Rovuma gas discovery, which is planned to be converted into LNG for exports..
- Pakistan has once again secured a seat at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC) among countries representing the Asia-Pacific region.
- Search engine giant Google has emerged as the most authentic brand in the country, followed by Microsoft, Amazon, Maruti Suzuki and Apple, according to New York-based global communications firm Cohn & Wolfe.
- The French parliament has adopted a controversial anti-terror bill that gives the authorities permanent new powers to search homes, shut places of worship and restrict freedom of movement.
- Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe has been removed as a goodwill ambassador for the World Health Organisation following outrage among Western donors and rights groups at the appointment.
|Selena Selvakumar(17)||Egypt Junior and Cadet Table Tennis Ope||
|India||Asia Cup Hockey title||Dhaka, Bangladesh|
|Gaganjeet Bhullar||8th Asian Tour Golf title||
|Kidambi Srikanth||Superseries title of 2017||Defeated Korean veteran Lee Hyun II|
- Kavita Devi,a former competitive powerlifter, has become the first ever Indian woman to be signed by the World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).
- Atlanta 1996 and Athens 2004 gold medal-winning sailor Robert Scheidt has announced his retirement from Olympic competition, ending a career that spanned a quarter of a century
NAME OF THE PERSON
|Shamsher Khan||India’s first Olympic swimmer|
|Roy Dotrice||British Actor|
|Richard Wilbur||Poet Laureate|
|William Lombardy||Chess grandmaster|
THEME / PURPOSE
|October 15||International Day of Rural Women||Challenges and opportunities in climate-resilient agriculture for gender equality and the empowerment of rural women and girls|
|October 16||World Food Day||Change the future of migration. Invest in food security and rural development|
|October 17||International Day for the Eradication of Poverty||
|October 20||World Statistics Day||Better Data, Better Lives|
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD WEEKLY RECAP WEEK ONE >> October Weekly PDF I
OCTOBER WEEKLY RECAP WEEK TWO >> October Weekly PDF II