AWARDS AND HONOURS
|NAME OF THE AWARD||AWARD WINNER||KEY POINTS TO NOTE|
|WPC Excellence Award||Indian Oil Company||World Petroleum Congress in Istanbul|
|Most Admired Leaders||Divyanka Tripathi & Terence Lewis||In the field of entertainment by Herald Global|
|Lifetime Achievement Award for contributions in Lok Sabha||Veteran BJP leader L.K. Advani||For his contributions as a parliamentarian|
|Justice Gopal Prasad Parajuli||Chief Justice of Nepal|
|TR Zeliang||Nagaland CM|
|Gopal Baglay||Joint Secretary in Prime Minister’s Office|
|Ram Nath Kovind Ji||14th President of India|
|Sanjay Kothari||Secretary to President|
|Shanmugh Natarajan||MD for Adobe Systems in India.|
|Brenda Hale||UK Supreme Court’s first female President|
|Ambika Soni (step down)||Congress’ General Secretary|
|Lord Davies||Chair Of The UK, India Business Council|
- The spectacular Dal Lake here hosted first ever ‘Culture of Cruise’, a weekly cultural programme organised by the Jammu and Kashmir government aimed to bring artists from various fields on one stage.
- As part of a Cabinet reshuffle during the ongoing monsoon session, Textile Minister Smriti Irani has been handed additional charge of Information and Broadcasting Ministry.
- Goa Shipyard Limited (GSL), a miniratna Defence Public Sector Undertaking (DPSU) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for the financial year 2017-18.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Secretary (Defence Production) Shri Ashok Kumar Gupta on behalf of the Ministry of Defence and Chairman and Managing Director (CMD), Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers Limited (GRSE) Rear Adm (Retd) VK Saxena.
- ‘Hamari Shala Kaisi Ho’ and ‘Shala Siddhi Karyakram’ are being implemented by the School Education department in Government schools in Madhya Pradesh.
- The Maharashtra government approved a revised policy of the ‘Majhi Kanya Bhagyashree’ scheme, according to which families who have a yearly income of up to Rs 7.5 lakh will be benefited.
- The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has launched the mAadhaar app, a digital tool that allows holders of Aadhaar numbers to carry them in their smartphones.
- The government cleared the second phase of BharatNet, its ambitious programme to bring broadband connectivity to all 2.5 lakh gram Panchayats in the country.
- The Andhra Pradesh State Skill Development Corporation (APSSDC) launched ‘Udyogaratham’, a digital technology-based employment van, in association with the Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL) and TM.
- Finance Minister Arun Jaitley has formally launched a pension scheme for senior citizens with an assured return rate of eight per cent, favouring efficiency with social security.
- The Jharkhand government has set up a helpline for farmers that would become operational from 22.07.2017. The move comes in the wake of around half-a-dozen suicides by farmers in less than two months in the state.
- A state government-backed football, grassroots development programme will be launched with an exhibition match between the north-eastern players and their rest of India counterparts at the floodlit Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium.
- The Centre and the Government of Haryana joined hands to revive the long lost River Saraswati and provide water to the drought-prone areas of India.
- India’s National Trade Facilitation Action Plan (NTFAP), which aims to reduce cargo release time for exports and imports as part of measures intended to boost trade, has been described by the World Customs Organisation (WCO) as a ‘best practice’ that other nations can adopt.
- The President of India has inaugurated the “Bicentenary celebration of the heroic Paika Rebellion of Odisha, a valiant uprising of Paikas against the British rule” organised by the Ministry of Culture.
- India has presented its national review report on the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to the UN, underscoring that as the fastest growing major economy it is “uniquely placed” to deliver on its commitments.
- Union Minister of State (I/C) for Youth Affairs & Sports Vijay Goel flagged off the 11th Slum Yuva Daud. Daud started from Vijay Chowk and ended at Major Dhyanchand National Stadium.
- Union Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju inaugurated the Research Institution of World Ancient, Traditional, Culture & Heritage (RIWATCH) Museum at Roing in Arunachal Pradesh.
- At a time when the country witnesses raging debate over intolerance, Kerala is getting ready to host a literary festival with tolerance as the core theme.
- Uber has launched a nationwide campaign called “Decongest India”, starting with New Delhi, to curb congestion and pollution.
- Cabinet approves MOC in respect of tax matters between India and BRICS countries – Brazil, Russia, China and South Africa
- Cabinet approves Cadre Review of Indian Defence Accounts Service, IDAS
- Cabinet apprised of MoU between India and
- Cabinet approves IRDAI’s admission as a signatory to the International Association of Insurance Supervisors (IAIS), Multilateral Memorandum of Understanding (MMoU)
- Cabinet approves Central Goods and Services Tax (Amendment) Bill, 2017
- Cabinet approves Integrated Goods and Services Tax (Amendment) Bill, 2017
- Cabinet approves revision of Indian Community Welfare Fund guidelines
BANKING AND FINANCE
- The latest World Bank report about the economic health of the member countries clearly says that while India is among the fastest growing economies – big and small, China is not doing as well.
- State Bank of India, the country’s largest commercial bank, has launched SBI Realty — a one-stop integrated website www.sbirealty.in for home buyers.
- Loans under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana (PMMY) Scheme have been extended by banks, Non Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs) and Micro Finance Institutions.
- State Bank of India (SBI) has informed that they have created a wholly owned subsidiary “SBI Infra Management Solutions Pvt. Ltd.” for providing real estate services to them.
- Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has informed that they have set up an Enforcement Department (EFD). EFD would serve as a centralised department to speed up regulatory compliance.
- State Bank of India (SBI), the Carlyle Group and GE have announced that they have signed definitive agreements, whereby SBI and Carlyle Group will acquire GE Capital’s entire stake in SBI Card, the second-largest credit card franchise in India.
- Karnataka Bank, in association with its PNB MetLife, has launched Met Loan and Life Suraksha (MLLS), a single premium plan covering the loan liability of a customer.
- India has contributed an additional million dollars to a UN partnership fund launched to support sustainable development projects across the developing world.
- India and Sri Lanka have signed an MoU to develop a village in Anuradhapura District at a cost of 30 crores Sri Lankan rupees.
- A landmark civil nuclear cooperation deal between India and Japan that provides for collaboration between their industries in the field came into force, eight months after it was sealed.
- The Centre for United Nations Peacekeeping (CUNPK) is conducting jointly with the US, the second edition of United Nations Peacekeeping Course for African Partners (UNPCAP-02) in New Delhi from 17 July to 04 Aug 2017.
- Singapore Airlines has been rated the world’s best airline in a survey by the Travel and Leisure magazine.
- Britain’s first woman Sikh MP Preet Kaur Gill has been elected to an influential cross-party panel in the UK Parliament that examines the workings of the Home Office.
- The Minister of State for Tolerance has topped a poll of the most powerful Arab women in government this year, according to Forbes Middle East.
- Russia and Hungary will host two future editions of the world championships in short-course swimming.
- Iran and Iraq signed an agreement to step up military cooperation and the fight against “terrorism and extremism”, Iranian media reported, an accord which is likely to raise concerns in Washington.
- Apple has been named as the world’s most profitable company, reaping in nearly $45.7 billion in profit in the last financial year.
|Dameet Singh||IAFF World U-18 Championships (Sliver)||Held in Nairobi, Kenya|
|Harinder Pal Sandhu||Victorian Open squash title||Victorian Open squash, a PSA Tour event, in Melbourne.|
Tulika Maan (bronze)
Pinky Balhara (Bronze)
|Asian junior C’ship||Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan.|
|Amit Saroha (Silver)||World Para Athletics C’ship||─|
|Indian Team (Gold and Bronze)||Global robotics Olympiad||Heald in Washington|
|Neel Joshi and Ananya Dabke||Dutch Open Junior Squash Championships||Heald in Amsterdam, Netherlands|
|Manudev||National Masters snooker title||─|
|Vishnu Vardhan and Toshihide Matsui||President’s Cup||Astana.|
|NAME OF THE PERSON||FIELD|
|Martin Landau||Oscar Winning Actor|
|Barbara Weldens||French singer|
|DATE OBSERVED||DAY OBSERVED||Theme / Purpose|
|July 17||International Justice Day||An effort to recognize the emerging system of international criminal justice|
|July 18||International Nelson Mandela Day||The day Nelson Mandela was born|
|July 22||Pi Approximation Day
Casual Pi Day
|The day is dedicated to the mathematical constant pi (π)|