Current Affairs – January 12 2023
Current Affairs – January 12 2023. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2023 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2023 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
Current Affairs – January 12 2023
1. Indian High Commission Signed MoU with Sabaragamuwa University to Establish Hindi Chair
The Indian High Commission signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with the Sabaragamuwa University of Sri Lanka to establish a Hindi Chair. The MoU was signed by High Commissioner Gopal Baglay, and Vice Chancellor of Sabaragamuwa University Professor Udaya Rathnayake.
- The MoU aims to establish the Hindi Chair as a part of India’s cultural connection through the Indian Council for Cultural Relations. The Hindi chair will help in familiarizing students of Sabaragamuwa University with India, its history, and its culture.
- The High Commission of India and the Vice Chancellor of Sabaragamuwa University signed an MoU for establishing Hindi Chair for the cultural engagement between the two countries.
- The MoU was signed between India and Sri Lanka after World Hindi Day.
2. ‘Saarang 2023’ India’s Largest Student-Run Festival Begins at IIT Madras
The 28th edition of Saarang, India’s largest student-run festival begins at IIT Madras on 11th January 2023. Saarang 2023 will feature more than 100 events with participation from 500 colleges across the country. The Saarang 2023 is one of the largest student-run festivals held completely in physical mode. It is expected to see over 80,000 people at the festival. The fest will be held till 15th January 2023.
- The theme of this year’s Saarang edition is ‘Mystic Hues’ which celebrates how intertwined colors are with culture and tradition
- IIT Madras is hosting the Saarang 2023 after two years post Covid-19 pandemic
- Saarang 2023 launched ‘Panacea’ for this year’s social cause.
3. School Students In Australia To Soon Learn Punjabi
Now Punjabi is all set to be taught in public schools in Western Australia. The language is all set to be introduced into the school curriculum. The Australian government is adopting Punjabi as the newest language after a 2021 census showed that it was the fastest-growing language in Australia with more than 239,000 people using it at home, an increase of over 80 per cent from 2016, reported SBS Punjabi.
- The number of Punjabi speakers in Australia is continuously increasing. Punjabi language has become the fastest growing language in this country.
- In comparison to the year 2016, there has been an increase of 80 percent in the number of Punjabi speakers in Australia in the year 2021.
4. Hockey India enters the world of Metaverse
Hockey India has launched a new metaverse product to tie in with its hosting of the Men’s World Cup in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela from January 13-29. ‘Hockeyverse’, which Hockey India claims marks a first for a national sports federation, has been launched across the governing body’s social media platforms and is designed to enhance the tournament experience for fans around the world.
5. Prince Harry released his Memoir titled “Spare”
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex, a member of the British royal family, has released his memoir titled “Spare”. The book was written with the assistance of American novelist J. R. Moehringer. The book is published by Transworld Publishers Ltd, a division of Penguin Random House.
6. Cognizant appoints Ravi Kumar S as CEO
Cognizant appointed Ravi Kumar S as the company’s CEO and a member of the Board, effective immediately. Kumar succeeds Brian Humphries in both roles. He joins Cognizant after a 20-year career at Infosys, where he held various leadership roles, most recently serving as President from January 2016 through October 2022.
7. Odisha: CAMPA New Action Plan for 2023-24
The Odisha government’s State-level steering committee for the Compensatory Afforestation Fund Management and Planning Authority (CAMPA) has approved an annual plan of INR 1,086 crore for the 2023-24 fiscal year, with a focus on reducing man-animal conflicts.
- The plan was approved during a meeting chaired by Chief Secretary S. C. Mohapatra on January 11th, where various issues related to wildlife management and afforestation were discussed.
- The CAMPA annual plan of operations (APO) for 2023-24, presented by the Chief Executive Officer, State Authority, CAMPA, Pradeep Raj Karat, mainly focuses on taking up plantations and other activities such as maintenance of old plantations, forest protection, fire protection, simultaneous silvicultural operations for bamboo forests, soil and moisture conservation activities in forest lands, wildlife management, relocation of villages from protected areas, and forest infrastructure development.
8. Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik inaugurates World Cup Hockey 2023
Odisha CM Naveen Patnaik led the inaugural address of this global sporting Hockey carnival which is being held for the second successive time in Odisha by the Odisha Government. In his inaugural address, the Odisha CM expressed his immense delight with the way that the FIH Men’s Hockey World Cup has returned to Odisha! With the grand Celebrations lighting up the night sky, he officially welcomed hockey home!
- While the matches would be held at the Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar and Birsa Munda Stadium in Rourkela in Odisha, the inauguration was held today at Barabati Stadium, Cuttack.
9. Skyhawk: India’s first 5G-enabled drone developed by IG Drones
- Skyhawk, India’s first 5G-enabled drone capable of vertical take-off and landing, has been built by Noida-based IG Drones.
- The firm arose from the Veer Surendra Sai University of Technology in Odisha.
- Skyhawk can carry a 10-kilogram payload, has a five-hour endurance, and can function through satellites if an internet connection is absent.
10. AC Charania selected as new Chief Technologist of NASA
AC Charania, an Indian-American, has been designated NASA’s next Chief Technologist and will oversee the space agency’s technological innovation. He previously worked with Reliable Robotics, Blue Origin, and Virgin Galactic before joining NASA.
- Charania earned a bachelor’s, master’s, and a doctorate in aeronautical engineering from Georgia Institute of Technology, as well as a bachelor’s degree in economics from Emory University.
11. National Youth Day 2023: India commemorates Swami Vivekananda’s birth anniversary
- The 160th birth anniversary of Swami Vivekananda is being observed as National Youth Day across the country today.
- The national festival recognizes and encourages the country’s young to adopt Vivekananda’s ideals and views.
- This year, the National Youth Day 2023 theme is “Viksit Yuva-Viksit Bharat.