Current Affairs Daily Digest – September 18 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – September 18 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. India ranks 116 in Human capital Index of World Bank
India has ranked 116th position in the latest edition of the World Bank’s annual Human Capital Index 2020. Last year, India ranked 115 out of 157 countries. The index benchmarks key components of human capital across countries.
India’s score increased to 0.49 from 0.44 in 2018, as per the Human Capital Index report released by the World Bank.
2. Lok Sabha passes Farm Reform bills: Facts, Concerns and Benefits
Lok Sabha passed two farm bills amidst the protests from the opposition. The bills were on agriculture market reforms and contract farming provisions. The bill to amend the essential commodities Act, yet another farm bill was passed on September 15, 2020.
3. India’s first private Jet Terminal at New Delhi
India opened its first exclusive private jet terminal at New Delhi Indira Gandhi International Airport. The Terminal was inaugurated by the Union Civil Aviation Minister Hardeep Singh Puri. The airport will allow movement of 150 jets on daily basis. The new terminal has capacity to handle over 50 passengers in an hour.
4. Global Smart City Index: Indian cities slip; Singapore tops
The Institute for Management Development along with Singapore University released the Smart City index for the year 2020. The report says that the Indian cities declined in their technological updates.
The index has been topped by Singapore, followed by Helsinki and Zurich as top three smart cities.
List of Indian cities in the index:
- Hyderabad: 85 (67th in 2019)
- New Delhi: 86 (68th in 2019)
- Mumbai: 93 (78th in 2019)
- Bengaluru: 95 (79th in 2019)
5. World Water Monitoring Day: September 18
The World Water Monitoring Day is observed globally on 18th September since 2003. This day is celebrated to increase public awareness and involvement in water monitoring and protecting water resources around the world.
This year theme for World Water Monitoring Day 2020 is ‘Solve Water.’
6. Veteran Ayurveda physician PR Krishnakumar passes away
Tamil Nadu based prominent Indian Ayurveda physician, PR Krishnakumar passed away. He was the Founder and Managing Director of the iconic Coimbatore Arya Vaidya Pharmacy (AVP) as well as the Chancellor of the renowned Avinashilingam University in Coimbatore. The Government of India honoured him with the Padma Shri award in 2009 for his contribution to medicine.
7. Chef Vikas Khanna honoured with Asia Game Changer Award 2020
Chef Vikas Khanna has been chosen to be honoured with the prestigious Asia Game Changer Award 2020. This award is given to him for feeding millions of people across India in the COVID-19 pandemic through a massive food distribution drive ‘FeedIndia’.
8. Mexico issues world’s first sovereign bond
Mexico has become the first country in the world to issue a sovereign bond linked to the sustainable development goals set by the United Nations. It has raised EUR 750 million ($890 million) by such bonds.
- Mexico Capital: Mexico City.
- Mexico Currency: Mexican peso.
- President of Mexico: Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.
9. Karnataka Govt launches “Arthika Spandana” loan disbursal programme
Karnataka Chief Minister, B.S. Yediyurappa has launched the “Arthika Spandana” programme of disbursing loans to the tune of Rs 39,300 crores through various cooperative institutions. Under this scheme, Rs 15,300 crores would be disbursed to the agriculture sector while a sum of Rs 24,000 crores would be earmarked for the non-agricultural sector.
- Chief Minister of Karnataka: B.S. Yediyurappa
- Governor: Vajubhai Vala.
10. International Equal Pay Day: 18 September
International Equal Pay Day is observed globally for the first time on 18th September 2020. On the occasion of the first International Equal Pay Day, and in the midst of the fallout from the global COVID-19 pandemic, the Equal Pay International Coalition (EPIC) will host a virtual global Call to Action to encourage all labour market actors to take the necessary steps to ensure that equal pay is at the heart of recovery efforts worldwide.
11. ICICI Home Finance launched “Apna Ghar Dreamz” Home Loan Scheme
The ICICI Home Finance launched “Apna Ghar Dreamz”, its new home loan scheme for skilled laborers like electricians, mechanics, painters, grocery store owners etc in the informal sector of Delhi.
12. India Happiness Report 2020 announced
The first all India Happiness Report 2020 covering all States and Union Territories measuring happiness across the country, what contributes to people’s happiness, the impact of COVID-19 on happiness, and insights from thought leaders. The study is based on a nationwide survey covering 16,950 people between March and July 2020 by Professor Rajesh K Pillania.
In overall happiness ranking of states and union territories:
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Among the big states:
Among smaller states:
- Arunachal Pradesh
Among union territories:
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
The worst possible impact of COVID-19 on happiness:
Maharashtra, Delhi, and Haryana have shown the worst possible impact of COVID-19 on happiness, whereas Puducherry and Jammu and Kashmir are neutral and Manipur, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, and Lakshadweep have shown the best possible impact of COVID-19 on happiness.
13. World Bamboo Day: 18 September
World Bamboo Day is observed globally on 18 September every year. This day is celebrated to raise awareness of the benefits of bamboo and to promote its use in everyday products. The theme for 11th edition of WBD 2020 is ‘BAMBOO NOW.’
- World Bamboo Organization Headquarters: Antwerp, Belgium.
- World Bamboo Organization Founded: 2005.
- World Bamboo Organization Executive director: Susanne Lucas.
14. Former RBI governor Amitabha Ghosh passes away
The shortest-serving Governor of the Reserve Bank of India, Amitabha Ghosh passed away. He had served as the 16th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India for 21 days between January 15, 1985, to February 4, 1985.
15. Udit Singhal named in UN’s list of 2020 Class of Young Leaders for Sustainable Development Goals
Udit Singhal, an 18-year old Indian boy has been named by the United Nations in the list of 2020 Class of Young Leaders for Sustainable Development Goals. It is a highest-profile recognition opportunity for the youngsters who are leading efforts on the world’s most pressing issues.
16. Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar assigned charge of Ministry of Food Processing Industries
Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar given additional charge of Food Processing Industries Ministry, following resignation of Harsimrat Kaur Badal
President Ram Nath Kovind has accepted the resignation of Smt. Harsimrat Kaur Badal from the Union Council of Ministers.
A press communique issued by Rashtrapati Bhavan today morning said, Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar has been assigned the charge of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries in addition to his existing portfolios.