Current Affairs Daily Digest – September 15 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – September 15 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. India beats China to become member of UN’s Commission on Status of Women
India has been elected as the member of the Commission on Status of Women (CSW), a body of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC). India will be a member of the prestigious body for four years from 2021 to 2025.
- ECOSOC Founded: 1945.
- ECOSOC President: Munir Akram.
- ECOSOC Headquarters: New York, United States.
2. Harivansh Narayan Singh re-elected as Rajya Sabha Deputy Chairman
Harivansh Narayan Singh has been re-elected as Deputy Chairman of Rajya Sabha (RS) on September 14, 2020 by a Voice Vote. He is a National Democratic Alliance (NDA) candidate and Janata Dal (United) MP (Member of Parliament). MP Manoj Jha was put in front of Harivansh by the Opposition who is a MP from Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD).
3. National Engineer’s Day: 15 September
In India, the Engineer’s Day is celebrated on September 15 every year, since 1968, to recognise the contribution of engineers’ in the development of the nation. The day marks the birth anniversary of the engineering pioneer of India, Sir Mokshagundam Vishweshvaraya, (popularly known as Sir MV).
Sir MV was regarded as the “Father of Modern Mysore”. He was awarded ‘Bharat Ratna’ for his exceptional contribution to the building of India in 1955.
4. Union Cabinet approves establishment of AIIMS at Darbhanga, Bihar
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has approved establishment of a new All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) at Darbhanga, Bihar. This will be established under the Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana (PMSSY). The approved AIIMS would be established at a total cost of Rs. 1264 crore and is likely to be completed within a period of 4 years from the date of the approval of Government of India.
- Chief Minister of Bihar: Nitish Kumar
- Governor: Phagu Chauhan.
5. Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology celebrates ‘Himalaya Diwas’
Wadia Institute of Himalayan Geology (WIHG), an autonomous institute of the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India, virtually celebrated the ‘Himalaya Diwas’.
6. TikTok choses Oracle as its technology partner for its US operations
TikTok has chosen Oracle to be its technology partner for its American operations. Microsoft was also in a bid to acquire TikTok in the United States but the Chinese owner of the video-sharing platform “TikTok” chose Oracle over Microsoft to be its technology partner for its American operations.
7. Gauri Khan announces her debut book ‘My Life in Design’
Interior designer, Gauri Khan has authored her first book titled “My Life In Design”, which will be published by Penguin Random House India in 2021. It is a coffee-table book, in which Gauri has written about her journey as a designer.
8. International Day of Democracy: 15 September
International Day of Democracy is observed globally on 15th September every year. The International Day of Democracy provides an opportunity to review the state of democracy in the world.
9. Sameer Kumar Khare appointed Executive Director at ADB
The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Sameer Kumar Khare as new Executive Director of Asian Development Bank (ADB), Manila. Khare is a 1989-batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Assam cadre. He is currently serving as Additional Secretary in the Department of Economic Affairs under Ministry of Finance.
- President of Asian Development Bank: Masatsugu Asakawa.
- Asian Development Bank Headquarters: Mandaluyong, Philippines.
- Asian Development Bank Founded: 19 December 1966.
10. Rajesh Khullar appointed Executive Director at World Bank
A 1988 batch IAS officer, Rajesh Khullar has been appointed as Executive Director at World Bank in Washington DC. The Appointment Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Rajesh Khulla for a tenure of three years from the date of assumption of charge or till the date of his superannuation (August 23, 2023).
- President of World Bank: David Malpass.
- World Bank Headquarters: Washington D.C., United States.
- World Bank Founded: July 1944.
11. The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020
The Farmers’ Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Bill, 2020 was introduced by the Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, Rural Development & Panchayati Raj, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar in Lok Sabha on September 14, 2020. The bill is aimed at transforming the agriculture in the country and raising farmers’ income.
12. Bills Introduced in Lok Sabha to Transform the Agriculture
Union Minister of Agriculture & Farmers’ Welfare, Rural Development & Panchayati Raj, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar introduced – The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Bill, 2020 and the Minister of State for Consumer Affairs, Food & Public Distribution, Shri Raosaheb Patil Danve introduced The Essential Commodities (Amendment) Bill, 2020 in the Lok Sabha on September 14, 2020.
13. Aircraft (Amendment) Bill, 2020 passed by Parliament, after Rajya Sabha’s approval
The Parliament passed Aircraft (Amendment) Bill, 2020 on September 15, 2020 after it was approved by the Rajya Sabha. The Lok Sabha had passed the bill earlier on March 17th. The bill seeks to amend the Aircraft Act, 1934 and covert three existing regulatory bodies under the Civil Aviation Ministry including the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) into statutory bodies.