Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 16 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 16 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. World Food Day: 16 October
World Food Day (WFD) is observed globally on 16 October every year. The day is celebrated to eradicate worldwide hunger from our lifetime. This day generates awareness globally for those who suffer from hunger and to ensure the need for food security and nutritious diets for all. Theme 2020: “Grow, Nourish, Sustain. Together”.
- Food and Agriculture Organization Head: Qu Dongyu
- Food and Agriculture Organization Headquarters: Rome, Italy.
- Food and Agriculture Organization Established: 16 October 1945.
2. First Indian to win Oscar Bhanu Athaiya passes away
The first Indian to win the Oscar award, Bhanu Athaiya passed away. She won the Best Costume Design Oscar for her work in the 1982 film Gandhi, directed by Richard Attenborough. In 2012, Athaiya returned her Oscar to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences for safekeeping.
3. Gujarat govt announces to set up the world’s biggest Zinc Smelter project
Gujarat government has signed a pact with Vedanta Group firm Hindustan Zinc Ltd (HZL) to set up a greenfield zinc smelter in the state.
This facility will entail an investment of Rs 5000- 10,000 crore in phases, creating more than 5,000 direct and indirect jobs and will be operational by 2022.
The proposed 300 (kilo tonnes per annum) production capacity project would provide big employment opportunities to the local youths in this tribal area.
- Gujarat Chief Minister: Vijay Rupani.
- Gujarat Governor: Acharya Devvrat.
4. Legendary Malayalam poet Akkitham passes away
Legendary Malayalam poet and Jnanpith laureate, Mahakavi Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri passed away. He has penned more than 46 literary works including poems, plays, essays and short stories. He was awarded Padma Shri in 2017.
5. Cricket journalist and commentator Kishore Bhimani passes away
Veteran sports journalist and Cricket commentator, Kishore Bhimani passed away. He was a leading cricket commentator in the Eighties and Nineties and is best remembered for being on the air during the tied Test of 1986 between India and Australia in Chepauk, Chennai.
He had received a lifetime achievement award for his decades-long contribution in the fields of media and commentary in 2013.
6. Cabinet approves Rs. 5718 crore World Bank-supported STARS project
Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister, Narendra Modi has approved the implementation of the Strengthening Teaching-Learning and Results for States (STARS) project.
STARS is a new Centrally Sponsored Scheme under the Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Education for improving the quality of education, in the Indian School Education System.
7. Cabinet approves MoU between India and Australia for collaboration in making impact for sustainable groundwater management
Union Cabinet approved the MoU signed with Australia for the various purposes and it mainly focuses on our sustainable growth. The MoU between India and Australia focuses on various fields like research and development, capacity building and sustainable growth.