Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 09 2020
Current Affairs Daily Digest – October 09 2020. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2020 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. India test fires RUDRAM Anti-Radiation Missile successfully
India test fired the new generation anti-radiation missile called Rudram 1. The Missile has been generated to kill enemy radar.The Rudram missile can be launched from Sukhoi 30MKI fighter jets. It has speed of 2 mach. This is twice the speed of the sound.
The weapon was developed by Defence research and development organisation. It was tested in the Balasore test range located off the coast of Odisha in Bay of Bengal.
2. NABARD inks 3 MoUs with SBI to extend credit support
National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) has inked three Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with State Bank of India (SBI) to extend credit support for various NABARD projects.
- State Bank of India Chairman: Dinesh Kumar Khara.
- State Bank of India Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
3. Meghalaya Govt partners with Israel to set up ‘Centre of Excellence’
Meghalaya government has entered into a partnership with Israel to establish a one of a kind Centre of Excellence(CoE) on high-value vegetables in the state to improve and promote the livelihoods of farmers. CoE is important for tapping the diverse biodiversity and available resources in the state in terms of its soil and agro-climatic condition.
- Meghalaya Chief Minister: Conrad Sangma.
- Meghalaya Governor: Satya Pal Malik.
- Meghalaya Capital: Shillong.
- Israel Capital: Jerusalem
- Israel Currency: Israeli Shekel
- Israel Prime minister: Benjamin Netanyahu
4. Nobel Prize in Peace 2020 announced
The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided to award the Nobel Peace Prize for 2020 to the World Food Programme (WFP). The World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian organization addressing hunger and promoting food security. In 2019, the WFP provided assistance to close to 100 million people in 88 countries who are victims of acute food insecurity and hunger.
5. Nobel Prize winner scientist Mario Molina passes away
Mario José Molina, the only Mexican scientist to receive the Nobel Prize, passed away. He was born on 19th March 1943 in Mexico City, Mexico. He shared the 1995 Nobel Prize in Chemistry with Frank Sherwood Rowland of the United States(US) and Paul Crutzen of the Netherlands for their 1970 research on the damage to the Ozone layer.
- He won the American Chemical Society’s Esselen Award of the Northeast section in 1987.
- He won the United Nations(UN) Environmental Programme Global 500 Award in 1989.
- He received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from former American President Barack Obama on 8th August 2013.
6. Jordan’s King Abdullah II appointed Bishr al-Khasawneh as PM
King of Jordan, Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein has appointed Bishr al-Khasawneh, policy advisor to the king, as new Prime Minister of the country. His appointment comes after King Abdullah II ibn Al Hussein accepted the resignation of Prime Minister Omar al Razzaz.
7. Amazon India ties up with IRCTC to start online train ticket bookings
Amazon India has partnered with ‘Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation’ (IRCTC), to provide its customers with the facility to book reserved train tickets on Amazon. With this launch, the e-commerce company’s digital payments arm Amazon Pay adds another travel category, thereby offering its customers a one-stop-shop for booking flights, bus and train tickets.
- Amazon Founder: Jeff Bezos.
- Amazon Founded: 5 July 1994.
- Amazon Headquarters: Seattle, Washington, United States.
8. Nilesh Shah re-elected as Chairman of AMFI
Nilesh Shah has been re-elected as the Chairman of Association of Mutual Funds in India (AMFI). He was earlier elected as the Chairman for 2019 – 2020. Nilesh Shah would also continue as the ex-officio Chairman of AMFI Financial Literacy Committee, being the Chairman of AMFI. These decisions were taken by AMFI, the industry body of SEBI-registered mutual funds at its Board Meeting.
CEO of Association of Mutual Funds in Indian: S. Venkatesh.
9. World Post Day: 9 October
World Post Day is observed on 9th October every year. The purpose of World Post Day is to create awareness of the role of the postal sector in people’s and businesses’ everyday lives and its contribution to the social and economic development of countries.
10. Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan Dies Days After Heart Surgery
Ram Vilas Paswan — minister in Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s cabinet and the founder of the Lok Janshakti Party — died on Thursday at a Delhi hospital where he was recuperating from heart surgery.