Latest Current Affairs – October 04 2018
1. Russian Prez Vladimir Putin arrives in India for 2-day visit
Russian President Vladimir Putin arrived in India for a two-day visit and was received by External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj. The visit is likely to focus on the two countries signing a $5-billion deal for India to procure Russia’s most advanced S-400 long-range surface-to-air missile defence system. Putin and PM Narendra Modi will also discuss key global issues.
2. Combination of virus, infection killed 11 lions in Gir Forest
A combination of the Canine Distemper Virus and Protozoal infection is responsible for the death of at least 11 of the 23 Asiatic lions that have died in Gujarat’s Gir forest since September 12. The government added that it has launched operations to ensure that the infection does not spread.
3. Chanda Kochhar quits as ICICI Bank CEO with immediate effect
ICICI Bank’s CEO Chanda Kochhar quit as the bank’s Chief Executive Officer with immediate effect after her resignation requesting an early retirement was accepted by the board. The private lender has appointed Sandeep Bakhshi as Managing Director and CEO for five years. Kochhar will also relinquish office from the Board of Directors of the Bank’s subsidiaries.
4. Mukesh Ambani tops Forbes richest Indians’ list for 11th year
Reliance Industries Chairman Mukesh Ambani has topped Forbes India’s 100 Richest People list for the 11th straight year with a net worth of $47.3 billion. He is the biggest gainer on the list this year, adding $9.3 billion to his net worth amid Reliance Jio’s success. However, he saw a $15.3 billion rise in his wealth in 2017.
5. Australia to be 1st nation to eliminate cervical cancer
Researchers claim that Australia is on course to become the world’s first nation to effectively eliminate cervical cancer if the current vaccination and screening rates are maintained. According to the new modelling, the disease could be eradicated as a public health issue in the nation within 20 years. Cervical cancer is the fourth most frequent cancer in women.
6. 18-year-old Shaw youngest Indian to score century on Test debut
Prithvi Shaw has become the youngest Indian to score a century on Test debut, achieving the feat aged 18 years and 329 days against Windies in Rajkot. Shaw broke the 59-year-old record set by AA Baig (20 years and 126 days). Shaw is only the second Indian after Sachin Tendulkar to score a Test ton before turning 19.
7. US ends 1955 treaty with Iran over world court’s decision
After International Court of Justice (ICJ) told the US to lift sanctions on Iran which are linked to humanitarian goods and civil aviation, the US pulled out of the 1955 Treaty of Amity with Iran. Iran took the US to ICJ arguing that it violated terms of the treaty by reimposing sanctions following withdrawal from 2015 nuclear deal.
8. US President Donald Trump nominates Rita Baranwal for assistant secretary of energy
US President Donald Trump has nominated Indian-American woman to head the nuclear energy division at the department of energy. If approved by the Senate, Rita Baranwal will be an assistant secretary of energy, responsible for nuclear technology research and the development and management of the department’s nuclear technology infrastructure.
Baranwal currently serves as the Director of the Gateway for Accelerated Innovation in Nuclear initiative.She earned her BA in Materials Science and Engineering from MIT and PhD from the University of Michigan.
9. India Chem 2018 Conference begins in Mumbai
India Chem 2018, the 10th Biennial International Exhibition & Conference began in Mumbai. The largest event of Chemicals and Petrochemical Industry in India will continue till 6 October. Union Road, Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the conference.
10. Indian International Science Festival begins in Lucknow
A four-day Indian International Science Festival 2018 will start in Lucknow from October 05, 2018. President Ramnath Kovind will formally inaugurate the festival. Union Science and Technology Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan said about ten thousand scientists and experts, including science teachers and students will participate in the event.
11. BIAL chose L&T for Bengaluru airport T2 project
Bangalore International Airport (BIAL) gave L&T Construction its project to construct its Terminal-2 (T2) at the Kempegowda International Airport. The project worth around Rs.3,036 crore. The 2,55,000 sq.mt Phase 1 of T2 will augment the capacity of the airport by 25 million passengers per annum.
The work includes design, engineering, procurement, construction, testing and commissioning of Terminal-2, including the integration of services and utilities along with the airport’s systems, support facilities, and buildings.
12. Donald Trump ranked number 259 on Forbes list
U.S. President Donald Trump ranked number 259 on the list released by Forbes’s wealthiest 400 billionaires. In 2017, he ranked number 248. Mr.Trump’s net worth has flatlined at $3.1 billion. In 2015, Forbes valued his net worth at $4.5 billion.
Forbes attributes his declining wealth to deeper reporting about his assets, the decline in brick-and-mortar retail, the slowdown in real estate, particularly in the luxury sector, and how being President affects the brand.
13. Project Utkrisht launched by Indian Railways
Indian Railways launched its Project ‘Utkrisht’ to upgrade 140 rakes of Mail/Express trains in the first phase.
The main aim of the project aims to do the following:
- Installing ‘Swachh Rail Toilet’,
- Fitting of energy-efficient LED lights – in the main interior, doorway, gangway and inside toilets,
- Braille signage & night glow stickers,
- LED panel photo frame in first AC coaches, new types of bottle holders, big side mirrors,
- Anti-graffiti vinyl wrapping in the gangway area,
- New types of fire extinguishers.
14. Manu Bhaker named as Indias Flag-Bearer at Youth Olympic Games
Manu Bhaker was named as the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent for the 3rd Youth Olympic Games to be held in Buenos Aires, Argentina from October 6-18.
Indian Olympic Association (IOA) President Narinder Batra announced that the 16-year-old Bhaker will lead the Indian team in the opening ceremony.
15. Cabinet approved for Mental Health Institute in Madhya Pradesh
The Union Cabinet approved the setting up of the National Institute of Mental Health Rehabilitation (NIMHR) in Sehore district, Madhya Pradesh.
The NIMHR at Madhya Pradesh will be the first of its kind in India in the area of mental health rehabilitation. The institute will also serve as recommending body suggesting models and protocols for effective rehabilitation of persons with mental illness.
16. National Khadi Festival 2018 held in Mumbai
The National Khadi Festival 2018 is being organised by Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) to promote Khadi products.
The festival was inaugurated by Union Minister for Micro Small & Medium Enterprises, Giriraj Singh in Mumbai on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti 2018. The main aim of the festival is to promote the products of cottage industry and create awareness regarding the art of states.
17. State Bank of India reduces ATM withdrawal limit
State Bank of India slashed the daily withdrawal limit on its classic debit card from Rs 40,000 to Rs 20,000.
There is no change in the daily withdrawal limits on other cards. The new limit will be effective from October 31st 2018.
18. SIDBI Launched National Level Entrepreneurship Awareness Campaign ‘Udyam Abhilasha’
Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI) launched a National Level Entrepreneurship Awareness Campaign, Udyam Abhilasha in 115 Aspirational Districts identified by NITI Aayog in 28 States and reaching to around 15,000 youth. They will join to contribute “the transformation mission” unleashed for these districts.
19. India and ADB sign $240 Million Loan for Safe Drinking Water Service for West Bengal
The Indian Government and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed $240 million loans for providing safe and sustainable drinking water to about 1.65 million people in three districts of the state of West Bengal affected by arsenic, fluoride, and salinity.
The signatories to the West Bengal Drinking Water Sector Improvement Project were Sameer Kumar Khare, Additional Secretary (Fund Bank and ADB), Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance; and Kenichi Yokoyama, Country Director of ADB India Resident Mission.
20. Haryana MDU declared Cleanest Government University by HRD Ministry
Union Human Resource Development Minister Prakash Javadekar announced the “Swachh Campus rankings” under various categories.
The rankings are decided on the basis of a survey under the ‘Swachhta Hi Sewa’ campaign. “Swachh Campus rankings” under various categories are listed below:
Cleanest ‘Government Universities’:
1. Maharishi Dayanand University, Haryana.
2. Guru Nanak Dev University in Amritsar, Punjab.
3. Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences (ILBS), New Delhi.
Cleanest Residential Campuses of ‘Private Universities’:
1. Symbiosis International University, Pune.
2. OP Jindal Global University in Sonipat.
3. KLE Academy of Higher Education and Research in Belagavi.