Current Affairs Daily Digest – June 25 & 26 2020
1. Cabinet approves declaration of Kushinagar Airport in Uttar Pradesh as an International Airport
Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi approved the declaration of Kushinagar Airport in Uttar Pradesh as an International Airport.
- Kushinagar Airport is located in the vicinity of several Buddhist Cultural Sites like Sravasti, Kapilvastu, Lumbini.
- The declaration of Kushinagar Airport as an International Airport will offer improved connectivity, a wider choice of competitive costs to the air-travellers.
2. Mobile Application ‘eBloodServices’ launched by Union Health Minister
As the COVID-19 pandemic has restricted activities and movement of people across the globe, one challenge that has emerged for all the States and as well as Central Government of India is in ensuring safe blood for the citizens who require regular blood donation for blood or bleeding disorders such as hemophilia, etc.
3. World’s First Yoga University outside India, Vivekananda Yoga University launched in Los Angeles
The world’s first Yoga University outside India was launched on 23rd June 2020 at United State’s Los Angeles city. The Yoga University has been named after Swami Vivekananda. The university will be known by the name- Vivekananda Yoga University. The University was launched as a part of the commemorations for the 6th International Yoga Day.
4. Wasim Jaffer appointed head coach of Uttarakhand cricket team
Former India opener and domestic stalwart Wasim Jaffer has been appointed head coach of the Uttarakhand cricket team for the upcoming domestic season. Jaffer confirmed his appointment to PTI, stating the contract was for a year.
5. Liverpool wins 2019-20 English Premier League title
Following Manchester City’s 2-1 defeat to Chelsea on 25th June 2020, Liverpool clinched the 2019-20 English Premier League season with 7 games still left in the season. This is the first time that Liverpool has won the English Premier League title. As of 26th June 2020, Liverpool by winning 28 of their 31 games in the season has accumulated 86 points.
6. 26th June: International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking
In order to make societies across the world free of drug abuse, on 7th December 1987, by adopting resolution 42/112, the United Nations General Assembly declared 26th June to be observed as the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking.
The Theme for 2020 International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking: Better Knowledge for Better Care
7. NS Tomar launches web portal of Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan
Minister for Rural Development Narendra Singh Tomar launched the web portal of the Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan through video conferencing from New Delhi. The Garib Kalyan Rojgar Abhiyaan is the massive employment generation-cum-rural infrastructure creation programme of Government of India which was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
8. NITI Aayog launches behaviour change campaign
NITI Aayog on June 25 launched behaviour change campaign named ‘Navigating the New Normal’, along with its website. The campaign will help people in following the norms in containing the spread of COVID-19.
The behaviour change campaign was developed under the guidance of Empowered Group 6 which was chaired by NITI Aayog CEO, Amitabh Kant. The campaign focuses on COVID-safe behaviour, especially the habit of wearing a mask during the Unlock phase of the pandemic.
9. Yes Bank launches mobile payment app ‘Yuva Pay’
Yes Bank launched its digital wallet solution ‘Yuva Pay’ in partnership with UDMA Technologies to enable contactless payments for its customers.
The digital wallet issued under minimum KYC regulations to Yes Bank will offer bill payments via Bharat Bill Pay and provide Unified Payments Interface (UPI) facility to customers.
10. International Day in Support of Victims of Torture, 26 June
The UN General Assembly proclaimed 26 June the United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture, with a view to the total eradication of torture and the effective functioning of the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment.
11. Australia, New Zealand to co-host 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup
Australia and New Zealand will host the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup, football’s global governing body FIFA announced.
FIFA said that the joint bid submitted by Football Federation Australia and New Zealand Football received 22 of the 35 valid votes cast by the FIFA Council members in the first ballot, with the Colombian Football Association having obtained 13 votes.
12. Justice Rajesh Shukla Sworn-In As 5th Gujarat Lokayukta
Retired Gujarat High Court Judge Justice Rajesh Shukla was sworn-in as the fifth Lokayukta of the state by Governor Acharya Devvrat. The post of the state anti-corruption ombudsman was lying vacant since the retirement of Lokayukta DP Buch in December 2018.