Current Affairs Daily Digest – June 04 2019
1. BJP’s Rajesh Patnekar elected Speaker of Goa Assembly
BJP MLA Rajesh Patnekar was elected as the Speaker of Goa Assembly, defeating ex-state CM Pratapsingh Rane of Congress by 22-16 votes. Speaking to the MLAs, Patnekar said, “Don’t leave the House while the Assembly is in session. Try to watch, try to study.” His rival Pratapsingh Rane said that Patnekar “will be judged by the decisions of the House.”
2. Telangana Government enhanced Rythu Bandhu scheme
Telangana launched Rythu Bandhu scheme. Telangana government released Rs 6,900 crore for the Rythu Bandhu scheme for Kharif season. The order is mainly passed to the agriculture department. The government enhanced the Rythu Bandhu scheme Rs 4,000 to Rs 5,000 per acre and decided to release funds in the view of ensuing Kharif season.
About Rythu Bandhu scheme
- Rythu Bandhu scheme also Farmers’ Investment Support Scheme (FISS) is a welfare program to support farmer’s investment for two crops a year by the Government of Telangana.
- The government is providing 58.33 lakh farmers, ₹4000 per acre per season to support the farm investment, twice a year, for rabi and kharif seasons.
- This is a first direct farmer investment support scheme in India.
3. Brand Veeba foods appoint Shah Rukh Khan as its brand Ambassador for its new brand “V-Nourish”
Eminent Consumer Brand Veeba foods appoint Shah Rukh Khan as its brand Ambassador for its new brand. Popular consumer brand, Veeba foods make inroads into a nutrition segment with its new brand V- Nourish. A nutrition supplement for kids above 5 years appoints Shah Rukh Khan as its Brand Ambassador.
4. International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is observed on 4 June
International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is observed on 4 June. The International Day of Innocent Children Victims of Aggression is a United Nations observance each 4 June. In 1997 The General Assembly adopted the 51/77 Resolution on the Rights of the Child. It was established on 19 August 1982.
5. Europes highest volcano Mount Etna erupted
Europes highest volcano Mount Etna erupted. Mount Etnaa, Europe’s Highest Volcano and one of the world’s most active volcanoes, erupted spitting molten lava high into the sky. It is located on the east coast of Sicily, Italy, in the Metropolitan City of Catania. This is 2019’s first eruption as the volcano on the island of Sicily as the Mount last erupted on 24 December 2018. The eruption did not affect the nearby residential areas or for flights at the closest airport at Catania.
6. Nayib Bukele is elected as the new president of El Salvador
Nayib Bukele is elected as the new president of El Salvador. Nayib Bukele is elected as the new president of El Salvador. The 37 -year-old former mayor of San Salvador, who won more votes than all other candidates in the February presidential election, brought an end to a two-party system that has held sway over the country for three decades. He pledged to cure the Central American country that he described as a “sick child” following years of violence and migration that has strained relations with the United States.
7. Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) summit held at Mecca
Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) summit held at Mecca. The 14th summit of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) held in Mecca, Saudi Arabia was hosted by Saudi King Salman bin Abdul Aziz Al Saud. The official agenda of the meeting was to address current issues in the Muslim world and recent developments in a number of OIC member states.
8. Satish Chandra Verma appointed as Advocate General of Chhattisgarh
Satish Chandra Verma appointed as Advocate General of Chhattisgarh. Government of Chhattisgarh appointment Sathish Chandra Verma as its new Advocate General (AG). He was previously working as additional Advocate General. He replaces Kanak Tiwari.
Capital – Raipur
Chief Minister – Bhupesh Baghel
Governor – Anandiben Patel
9. Cricket World Cup: The Indian Challenge’ book by Ashis Ray released
Celebrated cricket broadcaster Ashis Ray released a new book titled ‘Cricket World Cup: The Indian Challenge’. It the new book he has Ray penned down the journey of Indian cricket at the World Cups since the inaugural edition of WCs in 1975.
About Ashis Ray
- He is the world’s senior-most active cricket broadcaster.
- At the age of 24 in 1975, Ray made his debut as a Test match commentator on All India Radio (AIR).
- He holds the merit of being World’s youngest Test match commentator.
10. CAG Rajiv Mehrishi elected External Auditor for WHO
The Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) of India Rajiv Mehrishi has been elected as external auditor of World Health Organization (WHO) for a period of four years from year 2020 to 2023. CAG Rajiv Mehrishi was elected at 72nd World Health Assembly (WHA) held in Geneva, Switzerland on May 2019.
11. OIC appoints Yousef Aldobeay as its special envoy for J&K
The Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) appointed Yousef Aldobeay of Saudi Arabia as its special envoy for Jammu & Kashmir. The decision was taken at the 14th OIC Summit held in the holy city of Makkah, in Saudi Arabia. The 57-member grouping approved Saudi Arabia’s Yousef Aldobeay as its special envoy for Jammu and Kashmir (J&K).
12. Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (Quad) meets in Bangkok
The Quadrilateral Security Dialogue also known as Quad is an informal strategic grouping consisting of India, US, Australia and Japan recently met in Bangkok in Thailand. The meet in Bangkok was attended by senior officials of Quad (India, US, Japan and Australia).
13. Jay-Z named world’s first billionaire rapper by Forbes magazine
Jay-Z has been named the world’s first billionaire rapper by Forbes. Apart from a $100 million (over ₹691 crore) stake in subscription-based streaming service Tidal, the 49-year-old rapper’s assets also include shares in Uber and an art collection worth $70 million (around ₹484 crore) each. His wife Beyonce’s net worth is estimated to be around $350 million (over ₹2,400 crore).