Current Affairs Daily Digest – July 08 2019
1. USA defeat Netherlands to win FIFA Women’s World Cup for 4th time
Midfielder Rose Lavelle and forward Megan Rapinoe scored a goal each as USA clinched the 2019 World Cup after defeating Netherlands 2-0 in the final today. This is USA’s fourth Women’s World Cup title after having won the 1991, 1999 and 2015 editions. England’s Ellen White, USA’s Alex Morgan and Rapinoe finished as 2019 edition’s top-scorers with six goals each.
2. Sweden beat England to finish third at FIFA Women’s World Cup
Sweden defeated England 2-1 to finish at the third place in the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2019. This was Sweden’s third bronze medal finish at the event after their third-place finishes at the 1991 and 2011 editions. “We’ll take this in. We’ll process it and we’ll learn from it,” the England team’s Twitter account posted.
3. Brazil defeat Peru 3-1 to win their 9th Copa América title
Brazil defeated Peru 3-1 to win their ninth Copa América title and their first since 2007. Everton and Gabriel Jesus scored one goal each in the first half, while Richarlison converted a late penalty for Brazil. Brazil’s veteran right-back Dani Alves was named player of the tournament, while Everton was named player of the final.
4. Mexico beat USA to win record 8th CONCACAF Gold Cup title
Mexico defeated USA 1-0 to claim a record eighth CONCACAF Gold Cup title on Monday. Jonathan dos Santos scored the winning goal in the 73rd minute for Mexico. “There’s a lot of guys playing in a game like this for the first time. This experience will help us moving forward,” USA’s coach Gregg Berhalter said after the loss.
5. Australia’s Budj Bim Cultural Landscape included in UNESCO’s WHS
Australian Aboriginal site ‘Budj Bim Cultural Landscape’ in south-west Victoria has been added to UNESCOS’s World Heritage List. It was added to UNESCOS’s World Heritage List at a meeting in Baku, in Azerbaijan following a decades-long campaign by traditional owners.
About Budj Bim Cultural Landscape
- The site is located within Country of the Gunditjmara, an Aboriginal nation in southwest of Australia.
- It was created about 6,600 years ago by the Gunditjmara people. It is older than pyramids, Acropolis and Stonehenge.
6. Vice President releases book titled Vivekadeepini
Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu releases a book titled ‘Vivekadeepini’, a concise book of aphorisms (a memorable expression of a general truth or principle initially written by Adi Shankaracharya, one of India’s greatest spiritual and literary geniuses.
- This short book is a summary of Prashnottara Ratnamalika written by Adi Shankaracharya.
- It is a compilation of select 36 verses drawn from 67 verses of Prashnottara Ratnamalika which are written in Question-Answer format.
7. Operation Sudarshan: launched by BSF to fortify border with Pakistan
Border Security Force (BSF) has launched a massive exercise, code named as Sudarshan, to fortify Anti-Infiltration Grid along Pakistan border in Punjab and Jammu. The operation was launched on 1 July and is expected to be finished within a fortnight.
Operation Sudarshan Name:
The exercise has been named Sudarshan drawing from Sudarshan Chakra (or mythological cutting wheel) of Lord Krishna.
8. Centre fixes price for Sovereign Gold Bonds at Rs.3,443 per gram
Government of India has fixed the price at Rs.3,443 per gram for the new series of Sovereign Gold Bonds (SGBs) opening July 8. Union Finance Ministry recently announced that Centre in consultation with Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has decided to allow a discount of Rs.50 per gram from issue price to those investors who apply online and payment which is made via digital mode. This implies that for such investors, the issue price of gold bond will be Rs.3,393 per gram of gold.
9. Grand Prix of Spain Women’s Wrestling: Vinesh, Divya win gold
At the Grand Prix of Spain Women’s Wrestling India’s top wrestler Vinesh Phogat won her 1st gold medal after shifting to 53kg category and Divya Kakran claimed top honours in 68kg category in Madrid, Spain. India finished 2nd with 130 points in team championship behind Russia with 165 points.
10. Reliance Jio ‘Digital Udaan’ program launched for first-time Internet users
Reliance Jio has launched a digital literacy program for first-time Internet users in India. As part of the “Digital Udaan” initiative in collaboration with Facebook, Reliance Jio will engage with its users every Saturday. The company will help users learn about JioPhone features and use of various apps. This also includes Internet safety and use of Facebook.
11. CANADA OPEN Finals – Li Shifeng wins first senior title
It was youth over experience as 19-year-old Li Shifeng beated India’s Parupalli Kashyap but podium experience counted as past champions prevailed in two other finals at the 2019 Canada Open.