Current Affairs Daily Digest – January 21 2020
1. NIC organizes Tech Conclave in New Delhi on “Technologies for NextGen Governance”
The National Informatics Centre (NIC) is to hold a 2-day technology Conclave in New Delhi. The event is to be conducted between January 21, 2020 and January 22, 2020. The Conclave is to be inaugurated by Union Minister Shri Ravi Shankar Prasad.
2. National Agricultural Export Authority, APEDA launched 186 product testing laboratories
The APEDA (Agricultural and Processed Food Products Development Authority) has added 135 laboratories to the existing 51 laboratories. With this initiative, the total number of agricultural product testing laboratories in the country has increased to 186.
The new laboratories are being installed in states with high agricultural potential such as Gujarat, Maharashtra, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Telangana and karnataka.
3. Delhi Government releases Guarantee card on free bus services, water & electricity
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Sunday released a “guarantee card” listing 10 promises, including free bus rides for students and deployment of “mohalla marshals” for women’s safety, that his AAP will fulfil if it is re-elected in Delhi.
The card, “10 guarantees of Kejriwal”, also promises to continue the scheme for free electricity up to 200 units, free health facilities, to plant two crore saplings, clean Yamuna river and reduce pollution in Delhi over the next five year.
4. 1 trillion USD required to achieve UN’s Decarbonization Target of Shipping Industry
The United Nations had set the target of reducing carbon emissions from shipping industry by 50% by 2050 as compared to the levels in 2008. A study of London based Energy Institute (University College London’s Energy Institute) suggest that in order to achieve the target, the world has to spend 1 trillion USD.
5. Telangana to test voter identification through a face recognition application
The Telangana government is planning to test voter identification through a face recognition application on a pilot basis in the municipal elections of 23 January 2020. For the first time, the face recognition software will be used to ascertain the identity of voters in the state. The pilot basis test will be implemented in Kompally Municipality in Medchal Malkajgiri district for 10 polling stations.
6. Indian shooters Divyansh Singh Pawar, Apurvi Chandela Clinch Gold in Meyton Cup
Indian shooters Divyansh Singh Pawar and Apurvi Chandela have clinched a gold medal each in Meyton Cup in Innsbruck, Austria. The Meyton Cup is a private tournament where shooters go on their own to participate to gain experience before international events.
While Divyansh won the gold in the men’s 10m air rifle event with an effort of 249.7, Auprvi bagged the yellow metal in the 10m air rifle women’s category with a 251.4.
Deepak Kumar and Anjum Moudgil also a bagged bronze medal each in men’s and women’s 10m air rifle events respectively. Deepak shot 228 en route the bronze, while Anjum’s effort of 229 also fetched her a podium finish.
7. Fit India Cyclothon event was held in Goa
Fit India Cyclothon event was held on 18 January 2020 in Goa. It was flagged off by Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant and Union Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju at the Campal Parade Ground and culminated at Bal Bhavan. Organized by: The Fit India Mission has been initiated under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
8. ICICI Bank launch of a Cardless Cash Withdrawal Facility
ICICI Bank announced the launch of a ‘Cardless Cash Withdrawal’ facility from its ATMs on 21 January 2020. ICICI Bank’s Cardless Cash Withdrawal service will allow customers to withdraw cash from over 15,000 ATMs of the bank by raising a request on its mobile banking app, iMobile. ICICI customers can now withdraw cash without using a debit card at ATMs.
9. Four PSUs get MDs and CEOs
The Finance Ministry appointed managing directors (MDs) and chief executive officers (CEOs) of four PSU banks. The four banks for which new MD & CEOs were announced were Oriental Bank of Commerce (OBC), Indian Overseas Bank (IOB), United Bank of India (UBI) and Vijaya Bank.
1. Bank of India’s Executive Director R Koteeswaran has been appointed as MD and CEO of Indian Overseas Bank.
2. Animesh Chauhan, executive director with Central Bank of India will head Oriental Bank of Commerce.
3. Kishore Kumar Sansi, who is currently executive director of Punjab and Sind Bank, will be the new MD and CEO of Vijaya Bank.
4. P Srinivas moves from Bank of Baroda to the United Bank of India as MD and CEO.
10. The 12th National Tribal Youth Exchange Programme began in Puducherry
The 12th National Tribal Youth Exchange Programme began in Puducherry on 19 January 2020. The programme was inaugurated by Lieutenant Governor Dr. Kiran Bedi. The week-long programme is being jointly organized by the Nehru Yuva Kendra Sangathan (NYKS) and Puducherry Government.
11. India ranked 5th in the CDP India annual report
India ranked 5th in the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) India annual report. The non-profit organization surveyed among the countries for corporate commitments to science-based targets (SBT).
The report identified that the investors demand better disclosure of climate change risk from Indian companies. The report examined the carbon reduction activities of the selected companies
12. Chapchar Kut festival to be celebrated on 6 March
Mizoram is to celebrate festival Chapchar Kut on 6 March 2020. It is the biggest and most important festival of the Mizo. The meeting of the Chapchar Kut organizing committee was held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister Zoramthanga. The committee decided that the festival will be celebrated for two days. The pre-festival will be celebrated on 5 March
13. IAF inducts Su-30 fighter squadron in Thanjavur
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated the induction ceremony of Su-30 fighter squadron at the Air Force Station in Thanjavur in Tamil Nadu. The second frontline fighter squadron of the Indian Air Force (IAF) to be based in the South. The operationalization of the 222 Squadron will strengthen the air defence capabilities of the IAF, particularly in the Southern Air Command area.