Current Affairs Daily Digest – December 09 2021
Current Affairs Daily Digest – December 09 2021. Read and Download daily, monthly Current Affairs Daily Digest 2021 for competitive exams like UPSC, SSC, IBPS, SBI etc,. Download month wise Current affairs 2020 PDF and Current affairs quiz PDF .
1. Asia Power Index 2021: India Ranked as Fourth
According to Lowy Institute Asia Power Index 2021, India has ranked 4th most powerful country in the Asia-Pacific region for comprehensive power out of 26 countries, with an overall score of 37.7 out of 100.
India’s overall score declined by 2 points compared to 2020. India again falls short of the major power threshold in 2021. India is one of 18 countries in Asia to trend downward in its overall score in 2021.
2. FM Nirmala Sitharaman Ranked 37th on Forbes’ 2021 World’s 100 Most Powerful Women
Finance Minister(FM) of India, Nirmala Sitharaman has ranked 37th on the Forbes’ list of the World’s 100 Most Powerful Women 2021 or 18th Edition of Forbes’ list of the World’s 100 Most Powerful Women. She has been featured on the list for the 3rd year in a row.
She was ranked 41st on the list in 2020 and 34th in 2019. India’s seventh woman billionaire and the wealthiest self-made billionaire, Falguni Nayar, founder and CEO, Nykaa was ranked 88th on the list. Only 4 Indian Women ranked in Forbes 2021 World’s 100 Most Powerful Women List.
3. Indian Shuttler PV Sindhu won Silver at BWF World Tour Finals 2021
Indian Shuttler and 2-time Olympic medalist Pusarla V Sindhu, world’s number 7, won the silver at the 2021 Badminton World Federation(BWF) World Tour Finals, officially known as the HSBC BWF World Tour Finals 2021. The reigning world champion PV Sindhu has won the BWF World Tour finals in 2018 and became the only Indian to achieve the feat.
4. Kazhuveli Wetland declared as 16th Bird Sanctuary of Tamil Nadu
The Kazhuveli wetland situated in Villupuram district of Tamil Nadu has been declared as the 16th Bird Sanctuary by Surpiya Sahu, Environment and Forest Secretary, at the Minister of Environment Forest and Climate Change. The declaration was made under subsection (1) of section 18 of the Wildlife (Protection) Act, 1972.
The Kazhuveli wetlands is referred to as the 2nd largest Brackish Water Lake in South India, only after Pulicat lake.
5. Remember the Victims Prevent Genocide : 9 December
The International Day of Commemoration and Dignity of the Victims of the Crime of Genocide and of the Prevention of this Crime is observed annually on December 9. The purpose of the day is to raise awareness of the Genocide Convention and its role in combating and preventing the crime of genocide, as defined in the Convention, and to commemorate and honour its victims.
6. International Anti-Corruption Day: 09 December
International Anti-Corruption Day is observed annually on 9 December to raise public awareness for anti-corruption. The day is observed since the passage of the United Nations Convention Against Corruption on 31 October 2003.
The theme of International Anti-Corruption Day 2021: “Your right, your role: say no to corruption”.
7. World’s Oldest Test Cricketer, Eileen Ash passes away
World’s oldest Test Cricketer, former English legend, Eileen Ash passed away at the age of 110. The right-arm seamer made her debut to the national side in 1937 against Australia and in a career spanning till 1949, she took 10 wickets in the seven matches she played. Her career was interrupted by the Second World War – she was seconded to MI6, the UK’s intelligence service – and retired from the sport in 1949.
8. Rohit Sharma replaces Virat Kohli as India’s new ODI, T20I captain
Rohit Sharma has been named as the new captain of the Indian ODI and T20I teams. The All-India Senior Selection Committee announced the same on December 8, 2021. He will be succeeding Virat Kohli, who had announced his decision to step down as the T20 captain in September 2021.
9. Bills on ART and surrogacy passed in Rajya Sabha
The Rajya Sabha passed the Assisted Reproductive Technology (Regulation) Bill, 2020 and the Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2020 in the absence of Opposition on December 8, 2021. The bill has excluded single men, live-in couples, and the LGBTQ community.
10. Cabinet approves Ken-Betwa River interlinking project
Union Cabinet approved the Ken-Betwa River interlinking project, ahead of elections to major North Indian states. Ken-Betwa River Interlinking project is worth Rs 44,605-crore project.
This project promises to address the issue of water scarcity in Bundelkhand region, spreading across Madhya Pradesh (MP) and Uttar Pradesh (UP).
11. LCRD Launched By NASA
NASA launched its new Laser Communications Relay Demonstration (LCRD) on 7 December from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida.
- LCRD is NASA’s first-ever laser transmissions system, which will help NASA test optical communication in space. Most NASA spacecraft use radio frequency transmissions to send data but, Optical transmissions will help improve the bandwidth by 10 to 100 times corresponding to radiofrequency systems.
- LCRD will also show all of the advantages of using laser systems. In future lasers, communications can be executed on more missions to normalize sending and receiving data.
- LCRD payload is hosted onboard the Space Test Program Satellite 6 (STPSat-6) of the US Department of Defense Space and in a geosynchronous orbit, about 35,000 km above Earth.