Juventus Superstar, Cristiano Ronaldo has been named the Serie A Player of the Year for the 2018-19 season. This is a remarkable feat for the Portuguese international as he has won the award in his very first season in Italy. With this win, Ronaldo has now won the domestic player of the year award in England, Spain, and Italy. Ronaldo has been awarded five Ballons d’Or, which sees him tied with Lionel Messi for the most in history. Ronaldo has also won the league championships in these countries.
The 34-year-old striker joined Juventus in 2018. He left Real Madrid as the club’s all-time goalscorer, and after having won three consecutive Champions League titles. Ronaldo has been exceptional for Juventus as he has scored 21 goals for the team this season. Inter Milan’s Mauro Icardi won the Serie A Player of the year in 2018 as he scored 29 goals in the 2017-18 season.
Other Award Winners
- Inter Milan goalkeeper Samir Handanovic was given the Goalkeeper of the year award.
- SSC Napoli’s Kalidou Koulibaly won the Defender of the year award.
- Lazio’s Sergej Milinkovic-Savic, Fabio Quagliarella of Sampdoria and Nicolo Zaniola of Roma won the Midfielder of the year, Striker of the year and Young Talent of the year respectively.
- Cristiano Ronaldo is a Portuguese professional footballer who plays as a forward for Italian club Juventus and captains the Portugal national team.
- He is often considered the best player in the world and widely regarded as one of the greatest players of all time.
- He has scored over 700 senior career goals for club and country.
- Born and raised on the Portuguese island of Madeira, Ronaldo was diagnosed with a racing heart at age 15. He underwent an operation to treat his condition, and began his senior club career playing for Sporting CP, before signing with Manchester United at age 18 in 2003.
- One of the most marketable athletes in the world, he was ranked the world’s highest-paid athlete by Forbes in 2016 and 2017 and as the world’s most famous athlete by ESPN in 2016, 2017 and 2018.