World champions Australia overwhelmed India 4-0 to lift their ninth Sultan Azlan Shah Cup title on april 16, 2016 at Azlan Shah Stadium in Malaysia’s west coast city of Ipoh. Australia, record eighth time champions, started as the obvious favourites, but an rejuvenated Indian side made sure to pose a strong challenge for the title.
The Indian hockey team returned home after clinching the silver medal at the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup in Malaysia. The 2016 performance was the team’s best since 2010, when they won the gold at the tournament. India beat Japan, Canada, Pakistan and Malaysia in the tournament but lost the finals to Australia to end with the silver medal.
Fielding an experimental team, which featured a lot of young, inexperienced faces, they scored 18 goals in the tournament, the second most by any side.
Some key facts:
• In the last five years, the tournament was won by either Australia or New Zealand.
• India has previously won the title five times – in 1985, 1991, 1995, 2009 and 2010.
• India won the title last in 2010, when they beat South Korea in the final
• Last year, India finished third after beating South Korea on penalties.
• Last year, Aussies – the defending champions – were beaten by New Zealand in the final on penalties.