Airtel has launched India’s first live payments bank , which would provide an interest of 7.25% per annum on deposits. Airtel Payments Bank has rolled out a pilot of its banking services in Rajasthan, Airtel Payments Bank is a subsidiary of Bharti Airtel.
- It informs that account can be opened with Aadhaar based paperless e-KYC, with no extra documents required and customer’s Airtel mobile number would be his/her bank account number. The company intends to give an interest rate of 7.25% per annum on deposits in savings accounts.
- “Customers in towns and villages across Rajasthan will now be able to open bank accounts at Airtel retail outlets, which will also act as Airtel banking points and offer a range of basic, convenient banking services. Airtel Bank will commence the pilot with banking points at 10,000 Airtel retail outlets.
- These banks cannot issue loans and credit cards. Both current account and savings accounts can be operated by such banks. Payments banks can issue services like ATM cards, debit cards online banking and mobile banking.
- The minimum capital requirement is Rs 100 crore. For the first five years, the stake of the promoter should be 40% minimum. Foreign share holding will be allowed in these banks as per the rules for FDI in private banks in India.
- The voting rights will be regulated by the Banking Regulation Act, 1949. The voting right of any shareholder is capped at 10%, which can be raised to 26% by Reserve Bank of India. Any acquisition of more than 5% will require approval of the RBI.