Government of India has appointed Agriculture expert Prof Ramesh Chand as the full-time member of NITI Aayog. Professor Chand has been a member of the task force on agriculture development under NITI Aayog. He has also headed a government panel on minimum support price and has been working as the Director of National Institute of Agricultural Economics and Policy Research (NIAP) in New Delhi since 2010.
NITI Aayog - Points to Remember
- The Government of India announced formation of NITI Aayog on 1 January 2015.
- The National Institute of Transforming India, NITI Aayog is under the Chairmanship of Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- It has been set up in place of Planning Commission.
- It has noted economist Aravind Panagariya as its Vice Chairman while economist Bibek Debroy and former DRDO Chief VK Saraswat along with agriculture expert Ramesh Chand now as full time members.
- The Planning Commission had no representation for state and Union Territories. But the NITI Aayog has.
- NITI Aayog’s Governing Council comprising the Chief Ministers of all the States and Union territories with Legislatures and lieutenant governors of other Union Territories.
- Ex-Officio Members: Rajnath Singh, Arun Jaitley, Suresh Prabhu and Radha Mohan Singh.
Test Your Knowledge
Who is the present Chief Executive Officer of NITI Aayog?