India and Nepal commenced their 10th joint military exercise here which will be held over two weeks with emphasis on counterterrorism in mountainous terrain. The Indo-Nepal Joint Military Exercise Surya Kiran-X commenced at Army Battle School, Saljhandi in Nepal.
- The Surya Kiran series of exercises are being conducted annually, alternatively in Nepal and India. Notably in the series of military training exercises undertaken by India with various countries, Surya Kiran series with Nepal is the largest in terms of troop’s participation.
- While Indian Army is represented by the elite Kumaon Regt, Jabar Jung Battalion of Nepal Army is participating in this edition of the joint exercise on behalf of Nepal Army.
- The aim of this exercise is to conduct battalion level joint training with emphasis on Counter-Terrorism in mountainous terrain. Aspects of Disaster Management have also been included in the exercise. The Joint Battalion Level Exercise will enhance defense co-operation and relations between the two nations.
- It is an ideal platform for the contingent of both nations to share their experience and gain mutually. The Exercise will be yet another step towards taking traditional friendship between the two nations to greater heights.
Do you know?
- Prime minister: Pushpa Kamal Dahal
- Capital: Kathmandu
- Currency: Nepalese rupee
- President: Bidhya Devi Bhandari
- Cheif Justice: Sushila Karki