South American Countries Capitals Currencies – South America is the World’s fourth-largest continent – 17,840,000 km² covering approximately 12% of the Earth’s land and 3.5% of the Earth’s surface. The eastern side of the continent is generally lower than the west which contains the Andes mountain range.
South American Countries Capitals Currencies
|Ecuador||Quito||United States dollar|
|Falkland Islands||Stanley||Falkland Islands pound|
Facts About South America:
- South America is home to the world’s highest uninterrupted waterfall, Angel Falls in Venezuela.
- The highest single drop waterfall Kaieteur Falls in Guyana
- The longest mountain range, the Andes (whose highest mountain is Aconcagua at 6,962 m [22,841 ft])
- Angel Falls are the world’s highest waterfalls
- Amazon River Basin is the world’s largest river basin
- The Andes are the world’s longest mountain range
- Main natural resources in South America are minerals such as iron ore (used to make steel) or copper and agricultural produce such as corn, coffee, wheat, soybean and cocoa.
- The southernmost city in the world is on the South American continent. The city is called Ushuaia, is located on the Argentinian part of the Tierra del Fuego and more than 55,000 people live there.
- The most populous city in South America is Sao Paulo. Almost half of the population of the South American continent lives in Brazil.
- The Incas were the largest group of indigenous people in South America when the Europeans arrived.
- There are two landlocked countries in South America: Paraguay and Bolivia are located in the interior of the continent and have neither access to the Atlantic Ocean nor to the Pacific Ocean.
- The Aconcagua is considered the second highest of the world’s Seven Summits after Mount Everest which is in Asia.
- Quinine, the first drug that was used to prevent and treat malaria is obtained from the bark of the tree called Cinchona that grows in Ecuador, South America
- Argentina’s Patagonia has one of the highest wind energy potential on earth.
– South American Countries Capitals Currencies