Why Manipur Needs Sports University??
- Dr Jitendra Singh observed that the State of Manipur, with a population of around 27 lakh, has a literacy rate of over 79 per cent which is higher than the average all-India literacy rate.
- But, in spite of this, its per capita income is lower than the average per capita income at all-India level. One of the reasons for this, is inadequate utilization of the State’s human and non-human resources, as a result of which, there is a mass exodus of youth to other parts of the country and the vast woman potential also remains under-utilized in spite of the level of female emancipation and literacy being higher in comparison to other States of the country.
- Recalling that the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi had, during his very first visit to the Northeast after the formation of government, announced the setting up of a Sports University.
- The State of Manipur is known to fetch maximum number of medals in different categories during international athletic events and therefore Prime Minister’s visionary decision to establish an exclusive Sports University there, will not only help in grooming the sports talent of the State’s youth but will also address the issue of unemployment to a great extent.
- During current year, under Non-Lapsable Central Pool Resources (NLCPR), 84 projects costing about Rs. 849.79 crore and under North Eastern Council (NEC), 79 projects estimated at Rs. 671 crore are in progress, he informed.