AWARDS AND HONOURS
|NAME OF THE AWARD||AWARD WINNER||KEY POINTS TO NOTE|
|Exhibitor of the Year’ Award||Ajay Bijli||Chairman and Managing Director of PVR Limited|
|Energy efficiency award||Hyderabad International Airport Ltd||
|PLuS Alliance Prize||N R Narayana Murthy||For Research Innovation, Education Innovation, Global Leadership and Global Innovation.|
|Best Make In India Wi-Fi Company” Award||DIGISOL Systems Ltd||At “My India Wi-Fi India Summit & Awards 2017”.|
|ASSOCHAM Services Excellence Awards||Gujarat International Finance-Tec City (GIFT City)||For its contribution to the growth of the International Financial Services|
|Singapore’s acting president||J Y Pillay|
|Anita Karwal||Chairperson of CBSC|
|Kenneth I. Juster||U.S Ambassador to India|
|Nirmala Sitharaman||Defence Minister|
|Piyush Goyal||Railway Minister|
|Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore||Sports Minister|
|Alphons K||Minister for Tourism and Electronics (I/C).|
|Raj Kumar Singh||Ministry of Power, Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (I/C)|
|Hardeep Singh Puri||Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (I/C)|
|Dr Harshvardhan||Environment and Forest (Additional)|
|P Radhakrishnan||Minister of State of Finance and Shipping|
|Sudarshan Bhagat||Minister of State Tribal Affairs Ministry|
|Anant Kumar Hegde||Minister of State in the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship.|
|Virendra Kumar||Minister of State in the Ministry of Women and Child Development
Minister of State in the Ministry of Minority Affairs.
|Gajendra Singh Shekhawat||Minister of State in the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare|
|Satya Pal Singh||Minister of State in the Ministry of Human Resource Development
Minister of State in the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation.
|Ashwini Kumar Choubey||Minister of State in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare|
|Shiv Pratap Shukla||Minister of State in the Ministry of Finance|
|Sankara Narayanan||MD & CEO of Vijaya Bank|
|Rama Moorthy||MD and CEO of Tamilnad Mercantile Bank|
|Harshil Mehta||MD and CEO of DHFL|
|Parineeti Chopra||First Indian Woman Ambassador for Tourism Australia|
|Balasubramanian||Head of Citi Bank|
- The journey between Vijayawada and Amaravati, could soon be a 5-minute ride, with Hyperloop Transportation Technologies (HTT) signing an agreement with the Andhra Pradesh government to build a connecting road between the two cities.
- Gujarat’s Chief Minister Vijay Rupani flagged off the ‘Ma Narmada Mahotsav Yatra’ from Surendra nagar which will cover 24 districts, 7 cities & over 7200 villages.
- The National Institution for Transforming India also called NITI Aayog launched the National Nutrition Strategy aimed at Kuposhan Mukt Bharat. It intends at bringing nutrition to the center-stage of the National Development Agenda.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and his predecessor Akhilesh Yadav engaged in a Twitter war to claim credit for Lucknow Metro,the maiden run of which was flagged off.
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has launched two new contraceptives, an injectable contraceptive MPA under the ‘Antara’ programme and a contraceptive pill, ‘Chhaya’, in the public health system to expand the basket of contraceptive choices to meet the emerging needs of couples.
- President Ram Nath Kovind would visit Jasdan town of Rajkot district on September 4 to launch some projects and attend various programmes. President Ramnath Kovind will today lay the foundation stone for the link – 4 of Saurashtra Narmada Avataran Irrigation Scheme-SAUNI- Yojanain Rajkot district.
- To aid safe last-mile connectivity in Gurgaon, the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) in collaboration with Smart-E Company will launch 1,000 e-rickshaws at five metro stations across the city on Monday.
- Punjab Health and Family welfare Minister Brahm Mahindra on Monday said that Health department has set a target to make Punjab Corneal Blindness Backlog Free State by 31st December this year.
- In a first of its kind in Nagaland, a Wellness Centre under the Central Government Health Scheme (CGHS) has been officially launched in Kohima on Monday by Senior Chief Medical Officer Dr. Dhiren Engti.
- The Karnataka cabinet has approved universal health coverage (UHC) scheme aimed at providing free medical assistance to 14 million households.
- The government has issued an alert on spread of new malware ‘Locky Ransomware’ that can lock computers and demand ransom for unlocking them.
- Ahmedabad was formally accorded the status of India’s first World Heritage City, with UNESCO Director General Irina Bokova handing over a certificate for this to Chief Minister Vijay Rupani.
- The West Bengal government will provide GST accounting software to all traders, free of cost, Finance Minister Amit Mitra. NIC has been asked to prepare the software, which is expected to will help improve GST compliance.
- Jammu and Kashmir and Arunachal Pradesh were the fastest expanding State economies in 2015-16, according to a new series of gross State domestic product data with 2011-12 as the base year published by the Central Statistics Office.
- A recent survey by the Transparency International states that India is the most corrupt country in Asia.
BANKING AND FINANCE
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath will inaugurate one of his government’s most ambitious projects – a start-up fund for promoting micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) within the state.
- Canara, HSBC, Oriental Bank of Commerce Life Insurance have announced the launch of Point of Sale (POS) product ‘POS — Easy Bima Plan’, which offers life cover and also returns all premiums paid during the payment term on survival till maturity.
- Private General insurance company HDFC ERGO has entered into a strategic agreement with payments solutions company ItzCash to offer general insurance products on its platform.
- RBI has included HDFC Bank in the list of ‘too big to fail’ lenders, referred to as D-SIB or domestic systemically important bank.
- Fincare Small Finance Bank (previously known as Disha Microfin Limited) kick-started its banking operations with about 25 operational branches across Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh.
- DBS Bank India, part of Singapore-based financial services group DBS Group Holdings, has received in-principle approval from the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to convert its existing India franchise to a locally incorporated wholly-owned subsidiary (WOS) in India.
- Reliance General Insurance has received in-principle approval from the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI) for its initial public offering (IPO).
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank has said that it will bring down its cost of funds by up to 150 basis points during the current financial year by replacing 75% of its bank loans with borrowings using money market instruments including certificate of deposits.
- The state-owned telecom firm BSNL expects to start a field trial of 5G services by the end of this financial year.
RANKING AND INDEX
- India’s largest autonomous public research and development organisation Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has been ranked ninth in the world.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
- The Institute for Development and Research in Banking Technology (IDRBT), an arm of the Reserve Bank of India, is developing a model platform for blockchain technology.
- Record-breaking NASA astronaut Peggy Whitson and her Expedition 52 crewmates are scheduled to depart the International Space Station and return to Earth, Sept. 2.
- India and Myanmar have signed 11 agreements in a range of sectors, including one on maritime security cooperation, to further strengthen their multifaceted partnership.
- India and Nepal have began their joint military exercise in the western part of the Himalayan country, focusing on counter-terrorism and forest fighting operations.
- The National Highway Authority of India has awarded its first international project in Myanmar to a joint venture of Punj Lloyd-Varaha.
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj arrived in Russian port city of Vladivostokon a three-day visit to attend the third Eastern Economic Forum which will deliberate on pressing issues relating to global trade.
- Two MoUs have been signed in the course of the visit of President of the Swiss Confederation, Mrs. Doris Leuthard to India on i.e.31.8.2017 between Ministry of Railways and Swiss Confederation.
- United States of America (USA) proposed a range of new sanctions against North Korea, including an oil ban and a freeze on leader Kim Jong-un’s assets.
- Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL), under Ministry of Power, Government of India has launched UJALA (Unnat Jyoti by Affordable Lighting for All) Scheme in the State of Melaka, Malaysia.
- The 9th BRICS Summit has started in Xiamen, China with a group photograph of leaders of the five countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China, and South Africa) and was preceded by a warm handshake between Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chinese President Xi Jinping.
- Nepal has signed a USD 635 million UN assistance package for 2018-2022 to lay out the country’s development strategy for the next five years.
- The Civil Aviation Administration of China announced the opening of the country’s first test-flight base for civilian drones in Shanghai.
- The world’s highest sandcastle is now standing 16.68 meters tall in the German city of Duisburg.
|Gaurav Bidhuri (Bronze)||World Boxing Championships||American Duke Ragan.|
|Lewis Hamilton||Italian Grand Prix||
|Konsam Ormila Devi||Commonwealth Youth weightlifting C’ship||Gold Coast, Australia.|
|Viswanathan Anand||World Chess Cup||Tbilisi, Malaysia|
|Ankur Mittal (Sliver)||ISSF World Shotgun Championship||
- Hockey India has sacked national coach Roelant Oltmans after a string of unimpressive outings at the international level.
- Captain of Indian basketball team Amritpal Singh created history by becoming the first Indian player to be signed by an Australian Basketball team.
- India will host the 2019 edition of the Commonwealth (Youth, Junior and Senior) Weightlifting Championships.
|NAME OF THE PERSON||FIELD|
|John Ashbery||Pulitzer-Prize Winning Poet|
|Sultan Ahmed||Kolkata Politician; TMC MP & former Central Minister|
|Jomde Kena||Himachal Pradesh Politician; Health and Family Welfare Minister|
|DATE OBSERVED||DAY OBSERVED||Theme / Purpose|
|September 1 ─ 7||National Nutrition Week||
|September 5||National Teachers’ Day||In honour of Dr Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan|