Botanical Gardens in India – A Botanical Garden is a place where plants, especially ferns, conifers and flowering plants, are grown and displayed for the purposes of research and education. This distinguishes them from parks and pleasure gardens where plants, usually with beautiful flowers, are grown for public amenity Botanical gardens that specialize in trees are sometimes referred to as arboreta. They are occasionally associated with zoos.
Botanical gardens are among those beautiful places where you can see plants from variety of species.
Botanical Gardens in India
|1.||Assam State Zoo-cum-Botanical Garden, Guwahati||Assam|
|2.||Botanical Garden Sarangpur, Sarangpur||Chandigarh|
|3.||Gujarat Technological University, Ahmedabad||Gujarat|
|4.||Botanical garden Vaghai, Saputara||Gujarat|
|5.||R. B. Botanical Garden and Amusement Park||Gujarat|
|6.||The Garça Branca Ayurvedic Botanical Garden, Loutolim||Goa|
|7.||Curzon Park, Mysore||Karnataka|
|8.||Pilikula Arboretum, Pilikula Nisargadhama, Mangalore||Karnataka|
|9.||Regional Museum of Natural History Mysore, Mysore||Karnataka|
|10.||University of Mysore Botanic Garden, Mysore||Karnataka|
|11.||Prof. Nagaraj botanical garden in Botany department G U KALABURGI||Karnataka|
|12.||Jawaharlal Nehru Tropical Botanic Garden and Research Institute, Trivandrum||Kerala|
|13.||Vellayani Agricultural College, Trivandrum||Kerala|
|14.||Empress Garden, Pune||Maharastra|
|15.||Odisha State Botanical Garden, Nandankanan, Bhubaneswar||Odisha|
|16.||Botanical garden Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar||Punjab|
|17.||Botanical garden Punjabi University, Patiala||Punjab|
|18.||Auroville Botanical Gardens, Auroville||Tamil Nadu|
|19.||Botanic Gardens – Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore||Tamil Nadu|
|20.||Government Botanical Gardens, Ootacamund, Nilgiris district||Tamil Nadu|
|21.||The Institute of Forest Genetics and Tree Breeding, Coimbatore||Tamil Nadu|
|22.||Semmozhi Poonga, Chennai||Tamil Nadu|
|23.||Botanical Garden, Hyderabad||Telangana|
|24.||NTR Garden, Hyderabad||Telangana|
|25.||Aligarh Fort, Aligarh||Uttar Pradesh|
|26.||Botanical Garden of India Republic, Noida||Uttar Pradesh|
|27.||Jhansi Botanical Garden, Jhansi||Uttar Pradesh|
|28.||Saharanpur Botanical Garden, Saharanpur||Uttar Pradesh|
|29.||Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose Indian Botanic Garden, Shibpur, Kolkata||West Bengal|
|30.||Agri Horticultural Society of India, Alipore, Kolkata||West Bengal|
|31.||Garden of Medicinal Plants, North Bengal University||West Bengal|
|33.||Lloyd’s Botanical Garden, Darjeeling||West Bengal|
|34.||Malampuzha Garden, Palakkad||Kerala|
|35.||Mysore Zoo, Mysore||Karnataka|
|36.||Narendra Narayan Park, Cooch Behar||West Bengal|
Interesting Facts about Botanical Garden in India
- Government botanical garden located in Udamangalam in Tamil Nadu which is famous for huge collection of roses. This garden is considered as the largest garden for roses in India.
- Lal bagh is termed as Red garden situated in Bangalore. Lal Bagh seems to be old Mughal architecture combined with old & modern artistic touch. It is a genetic center for maintaining plants. Various scientific, technical researches are organized here.
- Agri horticultural society is located in Alipore, Kolkata and is famous for growing huge collections of rare medicinal plants.and also conducts annual flower shows. You can found variety of medicinal plants, ornamental plants, rare trees, uncommon trees, bonsai, cactus, tissue culture products, florticulture and organic vegetarian items here.
- Acharya Jagadish Chandra Bose /Indian botanical garden is located in Shibpur, Howrah in West Bengal. This botanical garden is famous for wide variety of species of plants. The great banyan tree is the landmark of this garden which is considered as the largest in the world.
- Lloyd Botanic Garden,This garden situated at an altitude of about 2100 meters in the heart of Darjeeling town, West Bengal,The most interesting plant over here is the 118 year-old woody climber Wisteria chinensis.
– Botanical Gardens in India